United Methodist MenAbout Us
The ministry of men in the local church is defined as a core group of men, partnering with their pastor, to invite and initiate spiritual growth opportunities for all men of the church. Everyone has different gifts, graces and areas of interest. Therefore, opportunities for participation would include diverse ministries of the church, such as prayer groups, missions, Bible studies, retreats, workshops/seminars, small groups in the Wesleyan tradition, leading and participating on committees, teaching Sunday school classes, youth ministries, scouting, mentoring and assisting in leading worship service. The focus is not inward, concentrating only on those who attend a set meeting, but outward to all men, assisting them to engage the process of spiritual growth.
Why is men’s ministry important?
- Men lead others best by modeling Jesus Christ in thoughts, words and deeds.
- Spiritual maturity is signified in spiritual reproduction, as the faith of mature disciples passes on in others.
- Men growing in Christ become effective spiritual leader in their homes and congregations, working as partners with their spouses and congregational leaders-both lay and clergy.
- Spiritually growing men help congregations to become vital and alive.
- Everything desired from and through men comes as a result of men growing spiritually and maturing as disciples: family blessings, stewardship, service, outreach, prayer, spiritual leadership, lifestyle evangelism, and faithful obedience. Men are foundational to the life and health of the church.
- When a man lives daily in surrendered faith, God is honored and many lives are blessed. Transformed hearts are forged only within Christ-centered lives-nothing less is our acceptable offering; nothing less truly reveals Christ.
UMM president Julius Lavares said they’ve used about $800 of their funds in the beautification of church grounds. “We’ve cut and trimmed the flowering bushes that were taking over our long driveway,” Julius said. “Low-lying branches of some eight trees were cut, allowing our church to be more visible from Columbus Parkway. The lawn where the crosses are is finally tuning green again. Our goal is to have everything look inviting for people to come worship with us.”
Their entire project would have cost four times the amount they’ve spent. Julius imparts: “I thank the men and everyone who volunteered — our young adults, youths, and women, and Pastor Fel. They put in a lot of physical work to make this massive undertaking work.”
“We also appreciate some non-members who let us use their equipment in hauling the yard waste and making six trips to Recycling.”
Our mission is to support spiritual growth among men, helping men to mature as disciples as they encourage spiritual formation in others.
Our goal is to empower the ministry of Jesus Christ through men within the congregations of the UMC.
Our pathway is a lifelong commitment to spiritual growth to maturity as Christ followers. Our spiritual formation is marked by spiritual reproduction, as our faith passes on in others.